Monday, August 19, 2013

Preparing for Our First Year of Home Education!

This week has been a busy one for me.  For the past five years I have not met many new friends and acquaintances.  It became too difficult to try and get involved in anything when Zoe was little so I kind of just...stopped. Not entirely of course but overall most of our weeks on the calendar have been completely empty.  It was nice, in a way, to not have a list of places that I needed to be or people to meet up with every day, but over the years I've really missed having bit a social life.  Aside from the rare play date here and there, the only times I ever really spent time with friends was when I'd travel to California once or twice a year.

This year, thanks in large part to Zoe starting Kindergarten, I am meeting new people left and right!  I've met and talked with more new people in the last 2 months than I have in the past 2 years. Between the homeschool co-op, various homeschool gatherings here and there, meeting neighbors in our new neighborhood, and we even have a new neighbor that just moved in next to us.  It's good... it really is.  I really need the interaction with other adult human beings.  ;)

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of these new people and getting re-acquainted with older friends too.

I'm excited about teaching Kindergarten this year! So far this is what we've done to get ready for the school year:

- We moved everything out of the "office" in our house to turn it into a school room.
- I spent 2-3 full days researching curriculum at the "last minute" because it always seemed so daunting to me.  Turns out I found her curriculum pretty darn quickly and I'm still happy with my choices.  We'll see how well each one pans out.
- We painted the walls of Zoe's new school room yellow and turquoise (Zoe's request)
- We bought Zoe a new desk and a new chair.
- We moved a ton of stuff back into the room, including my desk with my own piles and piles of papers that need to be filed or thrown away.
- I've been spending day after day organizing it all.  

I now have two weeks to complete her school room... I think I can do that ;-)

Only two weeks left until she starts Kindergarten.  My first little baby is starting Kindergarten.  It just seems so unbelievable how quickly the last 5 years have gone.  I want to just live in denial and always believe that my little girl is only 2 or 3 years old and she'll forever be my precious little toddler.  

It's so cliche to even say these things, but the next 5 will go by even faster.  

I cherish each moment with my little girls.  These years are going to be over before I know it.

So off I go to live in denial at least for another two weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment